One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Clearing the Air

Maui wowie! It's been almost a month since I wrote on this doo hicky. I would have wrote something sooner, but I a) didn't have anything to mention and b) I just didn't care to.

Since I switched back into fine arts, I've noticed a few things about the people around me, from both my old Graphic Design days and also Printmaking. I know, I know; another thing about this blah blah blah... What I have noticed is that quite a few people who I go to class with simply just don't care about what they are doing or trying to earn (a masters degree), it's amazing. I mean the school we go to is not the cheapest in the world, so you figure that you would want to put in as much time and thought as you can right? I guess not for some people. I mean it's graduate school, it is supposed to be harder and you are supposed to produce better, more thought out, and consistent work. Yet there are some people I know who just don't give a damn. To them it seems like "let's experiment and do whatever we want without trying to become well rounded artists". The only reason I can remotely guess, is because it's easier when your parents are flipping the bill than yourself.
As for Graphic Design, I find it...interesting how students are trained to be ahead of the curve and change peoples way of thinking about social issues, yet everyone does the same dry boring ideas. Processed food this, evil corporations this, blah blah blah. To me that lacks originality in a big way. Also a side note to that; how is it that they are expected to change the world with Graphic Design? Is seeing a poster that was made out of recycled paper telling me I'm a bad person if I don't do this or that going to change my mind? One other thing that I have noticed also is how much fluff people put into their projects. It's super dry and boring, and they make it even more dry and boring by dressing it up using a thesaurus. Bravo.
 I don't know about anyone else, but I see through all of this and it frustrates me on many levels. People who don't give a shit about what they are doing and also people who try to change the world by making you feel bad about yourself. And fluffing up a dry shitty topic.

I promise this is the last time I bitch about this for a while. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment