I've had some downtime on Spring Break so, aside from doing everything that goes along with homework, getting caught up on my guitar playing, getting outside, and doing some reading; I've tried to be more active on this thing. Todays writing will focus on something that I haven't done since moving out to San Francisco in July of last year: work. My previous job at a music store was in a word awesome. I became exposed to new music I might have not been able to find, played dozens of new guitars and even became "good" at drums. I also met some cool people, got to meet quite a few of my musical heroes and also encounter some truly turdey people. Which is the point of this piece.
Most times people who come into music shops are cool enough, they have some unique stories and are just interesting people. On the other hand some people who came in just plain sucked ass. They would act as though we owed them something which would entitle them to free or greatly reduced merchandise. Or they would assume that $49.99 was code for: open to haggling. Often times I wanted to ask "Where do you work? Can I stop by and get a whole bunch of shit for free? No? Than what makes you so special?" Another favorite thing of mine that rude customers would do is rag on what we would carry, how much it sucked, and the price. Seriously? Who has the balls to do that? It amazes me that some people can do that. Of course I loved my job and held my tongue. The turdish people that I encountered were not just restricted to customers, some people I worked with over the years there, also got into the same boat. This was something that I never really thought about much until a friend of mine who also moved out here brought this to my attention. Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable and I occasionally dropped the ball on somethings, but there were others who would take that job for granted. I often told people that I worked with, that this would probably be the coolest job that they will have and they would still screw it up. They would either be so full of themselves, show up late, try to leave early, not put any effort into working, get too distracted by the fact that we were encouraged to play the instruments. It was really incredible. The only thing(s) that it takes to be successful at a job like that are: some product knowledge, not sell people things they don't need or want, be nice and just acknowledge that they exist, don't hover around them, and be available to them. Strangely enough some people still don't get that.
So, yeah thus ends todays readings. Yey akward endings!

No comments:
Post a Comment