One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Thursday, May 20, 2010

2 Bands, 1 Record label, & 1 State








California or Calfiornication? Both are great albums by two great bands. Despite whatever I write here, it is all going to come down to personal opinion. In 1999 Warner Brothers recording artists, Mr. Bungle and Red Hot Chili Peppers both released albums, Mr. Bungle released California, while Red Hot Chili Peppers released Californication. What many people are not aware of is the fact that because of RHCP's stature over Mr. Bungle, Mr. Bungle's album was pushed back for a few reasons. 1. They were/are a much bigger group, 2. Their albums have similar titles, and 3. Because RHCP had personality issues with Mr. Bungle.
So for long while I had only listened to Californication and thought it was a great album, but it always bothered me because it felt like the Chili Peppers sacrificed who they were for the critical acclaim and record sales. Then about 6-7 years ago I began to get into all projects that involved Mike Patton, and the latest one I have acquired is California by Mr. Bungle. I then found out about the back stories involved and figured I would compare the two. Here is my take.
Californication is a beautiful record, but it is the beginning of a band moving away from their sound and who they were for the better part of 15 years. It is too slick and inspired by one person. Its not what I love about the Chili Peppers, and it was the beginning of the global ass kissing of John Fruscante's playing. Meanwhile, California, is the definition of controlled chaos. Strange beautiful songs that boarder on the insane and are more true to who the musicians that make up the band, than trying to get record sales. So for that alone, I would pick California.
Then you have the whole power play move on the part of RHCP. Getting another bands album pushed back= lame. Then you have Anthony Kedis' strange hatred of Mike Patton, because he feels that he is basically a copy cat= lame. Anyone who is able to use their ears, is able to tell the difference between the two. One (Kedis) has had the same vocal approach for about 12 years or so, while the other (Patton) has continuously developed and moved forwards. Honestly, if you out the two next to each other, Patton mimicked Kedis for maybe a year at the most in the late 80s'. Since then they haven't even been in the same league.
Then the last part of the lame factor, is the fact that Kedis went out of his way to throw Mr. Bungle off of any show that featured the two groups together. The retaliation by Patton & co. was hilarious; it involved them coming out at one of their own shows dressed up as RHCP and playing their songs, and faking heroin overdoses.
So taking all of that into consideration, I would have to give my nod to California. It is an album that is truer to the band that made it, it is honest, and adventurous all at the same time. But with all of that rambling taken into consideration, I would encourage you to make your own decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment