One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Red Squares

Two posts in the same day? Maui Wowie! This one is just something that I felt I needed to get off of my chest. It involves a heaping helping of bullshit and a dishwasher. Well not the dishwasher, but definitely the bullshit part. It happened on the last day of class in my last class of the semester. For anonymity purposes we will refer to the class as Auditory Illiteracy. So here it goes....
I'm walking to class feeling pretty good/content with what is going to happen: a final portfolio review of the semesters work. I'm feeling pretty good about my stuff and not letting the hugeness of the moment get to me. I ended up going first and presented my stuff, I felt it went well, and my teacher pointed out some good stuff that I did in the presentation. The whole class goes and then we are given a little envelope with three green squares and one red square. The objective is for us to do a pee to peer review type thing. You "secretly" put squares into others envelope, obviously green=good; red=not so good. You have to put all four of them into some one's envelope. Afterwards you leave the room so that the teacher can observe the work without prying eyes and the teacher would then look at the contents of the envelope, with him and the owner of the envelope being the only ones aware of its contents.
In the hall some classmates and myself are killing time waiting to go in the room. We are saying things like "I wonder what's in my envelope" and wondering about some other things. I saw the teacher leave for a second so I popped back in to put something in my backpack, and I see him come back in, so I tell him that I just had to do that; he tells me no big deal that he was done. Since we are the only ones in the class, he tells me that he looked at the contents of my envelope and said "I don't completely agree with what they said". I thought, "okkkkayyyy". I was expecting to get like a shit ton of greens and thought that he was saying something about that, WRONG. I open the little envelope and what do I see? FOUR red squares and ZERO green ones. What does that mean? Well, there are like 10-11 people in the class. That means that I got about 40% of the red squares. It means that my classmates don't like my work. Despite the fact that all along they have been telling me the exact opposite. Even when we were all back in the room my teacher said "You guys made some strange decisions". I later conferred this with my wonderful fiance who assured me not to worry about this, and we talked about the strange inter classroom politics that go into this ( that is a whole other thing ). Then later in the day I also conferred with two classmates whose opinions I trust and value. They told me the same thing. My work doesn't suck, it improved a lot over the course of the semester, and that I was crazy for dwelling on this. So after I thought about it, I realized that they were all right and those spineless bastards who didn't have the balls to tell me what they thought the whole semester can suck it! I know that my work is good, my teacher knows that my work is good and how hard I worked on things, and in the end those are the only people that I need to please. Myself first, and then the people who give me grades.

P.S. I passed the class, but as of me writing this, grades are not out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment