One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Friday, September 10, 2010

And So It Begins (Again)

So it's that time of the year. A new semester loaded with new challenges, more stress, and more debt (bangin). Also coming back are the jackasses who call themselves artists but in reality just look like jackasses. There are really only two things/types of people who make me ashamed of what I do, sometimes they are the same person. One is the super over intellectual/conceptual artist and the other is the person who thinks that because we go to an art school in a fairly progressive state, that they need to dress like the biggest douche bags in the history of douche bags. As I said sometimes these two people are really just one sad annoying person.
Everyday, everyday that I go to class (which this semester is Monday,Wednesday, Friday) these people are all over New Montgomery Street; they have on super skinny pants, messed up haircuts, crazy tight v-neck shirts on, ridiculous bags, and stupid shoes on. It makes me cringe to see these people look like this, but every time I do a few thoughts go through my head: 1) Why? 2) That must take so much work 3) What is the point? 4) You know I can see you right? 5) You look retarded 6)Why? 7) Who are you trying to impress here? 8) Why?  I also try to imagine them getting all ready, putting their guy liner on, getting the right look (you know the one that took about 3 hours but they want to make it look like it took only 10 minutes), plus what do their parents think? I mean people of my generation have parents who grew up between 1960-1969 (for the most part) which means that their parents grew up about 30 years earlier AND those people definitely wouldn't allow this. So I just try to imagine D-Bag artist guy coming home on winter break to like Idaho and everyone looking at him like the weirdo he is. This is a fun game to play when you are people watching. Oh and the guys and girls are on equal ground here; plus you throw in the international students who don't know any better and insanity ensues!
Now granted that AAU has both undergrad and graduate studies so is probably about 50-50 on which one looks stupider, BUT they should ask themselves a question: If I am a teacher listening to a half baked attempt at trying to explain your reasoning behind why you did something, how am I supposed to get past the fact that you have huge spacers in your ears, skinny jeans on, some fucked up hybrid faux hawk/mullet thing dyed orange, some stupid thrift store jacket shirt combo, and a preposterous beard AND take your argument seriously? Now I know that personally I don't dress to the 9's but I wear at least presentable clothes and take a shower.
It's sad to me that these people are more about the image of being an artist than actually just letting their work speak for them. They feel the need to look the part, because I guess it helps to validate them as the burgeoning artists that they hope to become. It bothers me because not only are my eyes being violated by them, but then I have to sit here and listen to the crock of shit that comes out of there mouths so that they feel intellectual enough about things also. One might go so far as to call these people hipsters, and you wouldn't be far off. So this me amigos, is why I despise these people and it makes me ashamed to call myself an artist/designer/cool guy/super hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment