One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are You Ready To Read? I Said Are You Ready To Read?!

In 2001, an excellent book about excess came out, that book was called The Dirt. To say the least it was crazy. Much like anything that is successful, it spawned other books similar to it. Like when Metallica did S&M and everyone and their mom made a "symphonic rock album", or when Survivor became a hit it spawned "reality TV" (these are GAME SHOWS!, that's a different story), or how Toy Story became popular and other 3-D films were released; okay that's enough examples. ANYWAYS, it lead to more rock stars than you can shake a cocaine covered stick at "writing" their autobiographies. Here is a short list that have been release since The Dirt came out in 2001:

Kiss and Make Up - Gene Simmons
The Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx
This Is Gonna Hurt - Nikki Sixx
Tommyland - Tommy Lee
Clapton - Eric Clapton
Slash - Slash
Tattoos & Tequila - Vince Neil
Mustaine - Dave Mustaine
My Appetite For Destruction - Steven Adler
Life - Keith Richards

Obviously this is not all of them, I mean Bobby Blotzer from Ratt wrote one, Steven Adler's mom wrote one (for reals?), Steven Tyler is writing one, Tom Hamilton is writing one, Duff McKagen is writing one, and I've heard that Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are both writing one. The real kicker is that they ALL say that "...this isn't going to be about backstage drama; who did what drugs, who slept with who..." yeah and that sitcom Emeril Lagasse had was great. BAM!
Not that I am one to say that people shouldn't do this but for reals, when multiple people in the same band write an autobiography what is the point? Also this is directed to Motley Crue; yes The Dirt came out ten years ago but do we really need FOUR more books from you guys? Half of it is going to be a recap of the main book while you catch us up on recent things and bitch about your band (that's how all of these go btw).
I know I just complained about these things but I do like to read them. They tell me some combination of these things: 1) save your money 2) do drugs in moderation 3) don't get AIDS 4) casually document your life so you can throw people under the bus later and in a public setting.
I guess what I'm saying with all of this is that I love reading! Unless it's brail, that shit is hard. And also I want to check out DLR's book Crazy From the Heat, I heard is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment