One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Spring Cleaning

As I was doing some spring cleaning today/throwing shit I should have thrown out a long time ago, I decided to go through my portfolio and I was surprised at what I found. I found drawings and prints from what seems like another lifetime ago (even though it was only 5-6 years ago). Since I had a drawing instructor who was a Grade A dick/butthole/turd, I was under the impression that everything I had done back then sucked big time. I was actually surprised at what I found. I mean yeah sure some of it did suck and still does, but some of it wasn't half bad. It also brought back memories of the classes and experiences of things I was going through. I mean I found a picture of something that I used for reference material in my first ever drawing class in college; that blew my mind! The drawing was long gone, since it too sucked.
Under my bed, I was going through crap from my graduate school time (which is still ongoing btw) and found a bunch of sketch books from my time studying graphic design; whew. Those things were filled with some stinky shit. Yeah, some good to great stuff came out, but damn that other stuff, what a bunch of shit. I also looked at every print that I have ever done (just to keep everyone up to speed, I'm a printmaker). That was nice to look at. More so than my drawings and definitely more so than my graphic design work, I can see a nice and very steady progression through my work. It made me happy. It also gave me the motivation to keep going and get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment