So I'm in the midst of a sweet class called Book Arts; it's awesome in every since of the word. I have made plenty of books before and it is a very interesting process. In no particular order; you write the book, design the book, assemble the book, etc... if you do it right it looks bitching. Which leads me to ask a question; with books being kind of/gradually replaced by ebooks, why would you want to move away from real books? There are so many things that I feel go against ebooks, sure they have some pros, but largely I would say they aren't good. The typography is HORRIBLE! Did they even consult a typographer at all? Plus you can't interact with it really at all. I mean there is a book called Helvetica, where the goal is to rip the book a part. How would you achieve that with ebooks? *
In short, I would say that this class has made me appreciate books on a whole other level. Being so close to them in other ways besides reading them makes you see how awesome they really are.
*Yes I know I only mentioned like two things, but I've done papers and had discussions about this plenty of times before, so I get tired of typing out my arguments every time. Point is I see why some people like them, but I do not and I feel that I have some very good reasons (most of which I was too lazy to type).

No comments:
Post a Comment