One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Friday, January 4, 2013

It's Not the NFL Hall of Fame Damn It!!!!

It says PRO FOOTBALL, not NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
I'm sure that no one who stumbles across this might know, but I LOVE football. American football, that is, not Futball (I don't give two stinky damns about "the world's game"). But one thing I have some issues with are the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Some of the voting procedures are lame, the people who they do or don't let in are lame, the people who vote; but the main thing is how totally biased against anyone who didn't spend a majority of their career, or earn most of their success in the NFL.
This hall of fame is not called the NFL Hall of Fame, it is called the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If you do some quick research online, you can find out that there have been dozens of professional football leagues, both for men and women, yet only the NFL gets the recognition. I totally get why they don't accept CFL'ers in as much (only two are in: Bud Grant and Warren Moon); BUT when you stop and look at the numbers 6 out of the top 10 all time passing leaders in pro football history played exclusively or a majority of their careers in the CFL, yet only one guy (Warren Moon) is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. What. The. Hell?
Now everyone knows that Eric Dickerson ran for 2,105 yards in 1984, and that my man Adrian Peterson ran for 2,097 this season (2012); but how many people know or recognize that the all time single season rushing record holder is actually Herschel Walker from 1985 with 2,411 yards? Probably not as many as their should be. Or even for that fact that despite only two Pro Bowls in his NFL career, when you combine his total professional yardage, he amassed over 13,000 yards. How does that not merit a bust in Canton?
I guess if you move past just records and all of that, you could just look at dudes who for some reason have not been included because of personal grudges. That in my opinion is extremely lame. Charles Haley might have been a dick, rude, and maybe borderline mean to people; but you know what? That dude has FIVE Super Bowl rings! You know how many other guys have five Super Bowl rings? Zero. Until Brett Favre broke his record, Jim Marshall started the most consecutive games for a non-kicker and that dude has not been inducted. Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Jerry Kramer, Andre Reed, Kevin Greene, etc... The list goes on and on.
I get why they don't let some offensive players in because they feel that some records have been broken so often, BUT some of those guys played at high enough levels for long periods of time. High enough that they still earned All Pro honors and Pro Bowl selections.
So in the long run, is this going to change anything? No. How many people will read this? Five. Six tops. But I still wanted to get that off my chest. It bugs the shit out of me. Just like the MVP award. Seriously, why not just say you're going to give it to only offensive players. I mean, how did Jared Allen not win that award OR the Defensive Player of the Year award????

No comments:

Post a Comment