One Terrible Blog

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States

Sunday, June 27, 2010

No Habla

One of the perks of living in an area such as San Francisco, is the bizarro television that we get out here. It's a combo of American, Korean, Spanish, Chinese, and a few other languages/cultures. This is a step in a new direction, considering where I come from, North Dakota. In North Dakota the only real imports we get are CBC (Canada) and sometimes the BBC (England). CBC, what can you say about that really? They show reruns of The Simpsons and Arrested Development, with NHL games, and their "news". Here, in San Francisco it's like stepping into an episode of The Twilight Zone.
Before I continue, I am going to reveal a personal fact about myself, here it goes: I only speak English. Okay in high school I took two years of German. Why? Because I'm an idiot that's why. Anyways, I have almost no clue what happens in any of these shows dialogue wise, but for me they are still interesting and entertaining to watch. The channel that I find myself watching the most out of the batch is a Spanish language station called Estrella TV. I don't know what people who actually speak the language think of this channel, but for me it's interesting to say the least. Usually I just watch, since again I only speak English, because I'll be playing guitar with my headphones on. But when I do listen to it, it's kinda cool. There's a Mexican Jerry Springer, a Mexican Hard Copy, and even a Mexican American Idol styled show.
But for me the show that takes the cake is a show called Aque No Puedes. I gather that it's like Family Feud, in that there are teams of people who are some how connected. Except that they do goofy ass skits and stunts, and sprinkle in some skanky looking dancers into. It seems to have comedic overtones to it but, I don't know what the deal with Spanish humor is, because it seems that all you have to do is say a few words than make a noise with your mouth and people go ape shit! This happens quite often on this show, but it's still interesting to watch regardless.
If you happen to have some time in your day that you really don't mind tossing away do yourself a favor and check this channel out. It definitely has the vibe that Mexico borrowed American shows and replaced everyone involved with super short pervy Mexican dudes and teamed them up with tall Mexican models. Again, very Twilight Zone!

1 comment:

  1. I really got used in watching things that I understand what people are saying, because most of the stuff I watch are in Portuguese (my native language), English and Spanish. When I watch movies from Germany or Netherlands, for example, it kinda bugs me because I don't understand a single word. French and Italian are Romantic languages too, so many of the words are similar to Spanish and Portuguese. And just to let you know, the title of the show is "A Que No Puedes", A Que is separated. Literally it means "what you can't do" which is kind of a way to say "I bet you can't do it".

    ReplyDelete