There are two types of people that I have grown to realize that I dislike ( I say dislike, because I don't think that I really "hate" anyone). 1) Jazz snobs 2) Hippie/Hipster douchers. I will try in some depth to describe why I loathe these people in the following paragraphs.
We'll start with the Jazz snobs. They are almost too easy that I should ignore them, but I won't, ney I can't. Oh and before I continue let me say: I enjoy Jazz. Just usually not the people who play it. Remember the scene in High Fidelity where Jack Black won't sell that guy the record he so badly wants? And their friend says that they were the under appreciated geeks in high school and now they can look down on people from their collective music perch? That's Jazz snobs in a quick blurb. If you can't get it, your dumb. If you listen to music that is simple, you have poor taste in music. If it's easily accessible, it's clearly terrible and you should revisit the previous two things mentioned. They also feel that because they have superior music knowledge (usually) they can look down their nose at you for a variety of reasons ranging from: playing in odd time signatures, overall music theory skills, flawlessly sight read, and improvise. It's kind of disgusting. I like listening to Jazz, mostly fusion or guitar based styles, but even those guys are kinda dicks. Some of my favorite players play Jazz and it's so obnoxious to listen to them talk, to the point if I heard them talk anymore than I do, I might not listen to them at all. Now this isn't to say that guys who play other styles of music should get free passes, but at least they don't carry a holier than thou attitude about everything. And you know what? It doesn't stop with just music; they need to be snobs about food, literature, wine/booze, film, and art. Seriously, who took a shit on these people when they were growing up?
Up next, the Hippie/Hipster douchers. When I lived in North Dakota these people were rare, out in San Francisco they are almost EVERYWHERE! For the life of me I can't understand why someone would want to live a lifestyle like them. It's almost like the opposite of someone who needs to be up to date on the latest trends; they search for the next big obscure thing. Some crappy indie band that only 3 people have heard of, some crappy film that was made for $10,000, HORRIBLE clothes that looked to be in fashion 15 years ago. You name it they look for it, they take pride in it. It's as if they frown their stupid faces upon anything that might have money behind it. What makes them think that just because someone in a second hand t-shirt made a more honest song than a famous singer? Something that was made for $200 has just as much chance to suck as something that cost $200,000. I know a few people like this and it bothers me, more so because they are totally oblivious to the fact that they are like this. Now, I certainly don't hate these people, but I wouldn't shed a tear if they were suddenly arrested and the deported under mysterious circumstances or anything. My last point on these turds is this: they feel that because they appreciate things that no one gives a shit about they know everything there is to know about art. This offends me as a burgeoning artist. If it came down to everyone hating my stuff or having one person in the world like it and it was a lame ass Hipster; I would rather everyone hate it. To me it seems that the only reason they claim to like art is so that they can seem rounded and cultural and blah, blah, blah. Art is not for everyone and by just pretending to appreciate it is offensive to artists everywhere.*
One would think that these people should get together and be friends, hell they could become BFF's or something. They have enough in common. They are so bitter and contrived, they could hate everything together and it would make it easier for everyone else to dislike them.
*A lot of artists can fall in to this group. I might touch upon this at a later date.

No comments:
Post a Comment